Blog Post #8 Self-Assessment Survey~

Blog # 8 Reflections on self-assessment regarding research writing~


  • Researched Writing Survey
        When assigned to write a research paper I am excited about the research and the writing
         but I am still nervous about the details of citing and grammar. It seems that the more i write
         the better I will become at the details involved. I am confident in my ability to paraphrase. I
         enjoy words so using many different words to expound on a topic is fun to me. One of the more
         difficult things I have found is finding research that is more recent. Sometimes this can be
         frustrating.

  • Rules of Citation Quiz
          This area was easier to do this time around because I felt more confident and sure of my
          answers. I think the videos we watched (several times for me) were incredibly helpful. They
          took a boring subject and made it more interesting and therefore, easier to understand. I also
          think it clarified some unique situations that are beneficial to know about.

  • Self-Assessment Plagiarism Attitude Scale
          When I first scored this scale (months ago) I felt much less adequate to protect myself against
          plagiarism than I do now. I know I have room to grow but I am not as nervous or anxiety
          ridden as I was in January. Plagiarism is against my ethical values so I want to be sure I know
          how to write with honor while giving honor to the works I review. The appointment I had with
          the librarian was also helpful to me in this area because I feel like I have a broader base of
          resources when I have a question about citing. I have emailed them and used online chat. It was
          weird to me at first but quickly became relaxed and easy. I am hopeful in this area where I was
          ignorant and nervous before.
          I know there is much to learn and discover with regard to research and writing about it but I
          am feeling more excited and equipped than I was before even though I realize there is a great
          amount still ahead to grasp and take in!
         

Comments

  1. Hi Shari,

    I agree, the initial assignment can be a stressful task (over analyzing attempting to make sure everything is correct), especially when there are so many working and moving parts that are to be included to make the assignment complete. I think the more feedback that I receive, the better able I am to understand the mistakes, correct them, and have a point of reference for the next assignment. I am continuously gaining confidence in the format as it seems to follow from one class to another, with some minor differences depending on the APA manual and the requirements from the individual professor. Over-all, I think this course has assisted me to move forward in having a format to follow for the dissertation and for that I am truly grateful.

    Thank you for sharing,

    Niki
    (my blog Post #8 is under the following address):
    http://msnikblogpost8.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Niki,
    One of the things that I have enjoyed in this class was the interaction and peer involvement. It has allowed me to get a wider view of format and writing. I also think the videos were an asset because I could watch them several times if I didn't understand the first time around. I appreciate your statement about "so many moving parts" that need to be included for completeness. That is when I had to practice my relaxed breathing techniques. :-) So far I am still here and better for it. We all are! Thanks for your thoughtful contributions!
    Shari :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shari:

    You make a good point that the more practice we have, the more sure of ourselves we are. Practice makes perfect has new meaning in research writing. I also agree that the videos make the subject much more understandable, as well as less boring.
    Cybele

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Methods of Inquiry Blog Post #1 Problem Statement~

Blog # 4 Chapter 5 or 6 Activities

Self Assessment - Research Writing Survey Post