Blog Post #2 Theoretical Framework

The problem of individuals experiencing 'phase of life' transitions' lacking tools to maintain satisfaction with human connection is grounded in the cognitive-relational theory of stress, originally developed by Richard Lazarus. In 1966 Richard Lazarus primarily used the cognitive-relational theory of stress to study the cycle of appraisal of environmental stress and consequent coping. Appraisal and coping are discussed as the mediating processes that individuals use to seek to reduce stress. This is also known as the Transactional Model, Lazarus Theory (Lazarus, 1966,1991).  

This theory framework is appropriate when discussing individuals in transition lacking tools to maintain satisfaction with human connection because it examines the stressors of uncertainty which speaks to transition, sense of deprivation and threat of difficulty or harm. This theory is concerned with personal factors as well as environmental factors and functional and dysfunctional coping which will challenge the individuals lack of tools to maintain human connection. Focus is also a strong element of this theory and necessary to the aspect of sensing human connection (Lazarus, 1991).

Lazarus, R.S. (1991). Progress on a cognitive-motivational-relational theory of emotion. American Psychologist, 46(8), 819-834.

Lazarus, R.S., Folkman, S. (1987). Transactional theory and research on emotions and coping. European Journal of Personality, 1(3), 141-169.

Lazarus, R.S. (1966). Psychological stress and the coping process. New York, NY, US: McGraw-Hill.



Comments

  1. Shari - Great job. When I originally read about your topic, I thought it was interesting. I feel like we are getting to know each other so much better through our topics, through our dissertation journey and that is very exciting! You could say you are experiencing a "phase of life" transition, going through the process. It is interesting what those "phase of life" transitions. We think of transitions such as graduating from high school and going on your own, getting married, and having children. I would think that hardships such as divorce, major medical problems, and even for service men and women living in war zones. I am curious, does the research specify what "phase of life" means...does it include other transitions besides the main ones that are known to most of us?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great question Cybele!
      There are so many transitions in life and many of them, though they are positive, the change poses a challenge to navigating stress and staying connected to family or support. I am concerned about the broad sense of transition because it is such a large group to study. That is also why it might be beneficial to look at many different types of transition and how individuals navigate during the experience. As I consider the type of research I will be doing I will have a better answer for this question. At this point I would like to include individuals from any type of transition but I am not sure if that will serve the purpose well. I have been reading research about specific groups of transition such as retirement, foster care, divorce and health diagnosis but I would like to include them all with regard to how they find satisfaction in staying connected to those that are important to them. What tools are they lacking? What signifies satisfying relationship or connection?
      I am open to thoughts, comments or critique so feel free to let me know what you think. It is helpful to widen my lens and I only see from a particular vantage point.

      Delete
  2. Some of those groups I have no idea, as it does not apply to me. However, I have gone through a divorce and would say that I am going through a transition by being my father's caretaker. I would also say for many of those groups, having a supportive network, as well as a a good support group is very beneficial. The support group doesn't have to be in person either. I am actually on a couple on Facebook . It is amazing the support I have received. They have also been very helpful in answering any questions due to their own experiences.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job Shari! I think this is an appropriate theory for you! I would also mention that your hypothesis is if they have the tools then they would be able to make connections that would help them cope and overcome the stress.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Methods of Inquiry Blog Post #1 Problem Statement~

Blog # 4 Chapter 5 or 6 Activities

Self Assessment - Research Writing Survey Post